Sunday, June 17, 2007

Como, Italia









I hire a small car from Avis in Bonn for 2 weeks. Its a Seat Leon 2L TDI, with DSG, wow.

The drive south is by the Autobahn, and I hit my top ever legal road speed of 215Kph, you gotta respect the Germans. Dinner is in Freiburg and its a new favourite, Pork Escalope with cream sauce and noodles.

The rain is incessent and bucketing down with force. At times I need to drive at 20kph just to see, its that bad!

Soon we hit Swiss, one of my fav countries, and reach Interlaken for lunch. Its a real shame, the rain is so bad. We duck into the first place for lunch and it is fancy expensive but excellent. John has his first Thai food for ages and I have the same Pork with cream sauce dish as the prior night!

The next section of road to Como includes the best stretch I have ever seen. The Goddard Pass. Twisting mountain roads, hairpins upon hairpins, going from one valley over the snow capped mountain, then through a 17km tunnel. We passed snow, it was surreal, and then to see the view as we crested the mountain. WOW. John was fast asleep. UNfortunately also it was raining heavily so I had to take it very cautiously.

We reach as drier Lucarno for a late coffee. Admire the view and the Monaco like surroundings of a town on a large lake surrounded by mountains. The land of the wealthy. The traffic is rediculous though.

Its some 5hrs later that we arrive in Italian, in Como and find accomodation. Everywhere is booked for Friday night it seems. Its very impressive, very similar to Lacarno, town on a lake, with houses lining all shores andf mountains rising into the horizon. The restaurants line the banks, and we find a place for Pizza and a glass of Chinotto.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're going to get fat with all this fun you're having. Go back to work, you bastard! :-)

Sounds like you're having a top time!

4:05 am  
Blogger j a s o n said...

I am trimming up mate,doing some exercise, no snacking and 3 square meals a day. Plus walking with my pack and summer sun every day.

I need to lose the fattening up from sitting on my dot for 10hrs a day at work in London!!

9:00 am  
Blogger Joe said...

Ooh! It's just as beautiful as in the Gwen Stefani clip!

I've been to Lake Garda but not Como. That is really beautiful too.

10:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, that's a good 'portrait of bike' you've done.

9:10 am  
Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

Hehe people will think you're a fat American tourist.

7:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter