Monday, June 04, 2007

Norway




















After a hectic week packing and working late nights, I set of 5am Saturday for Oslo.

Its great to be travelling again, and I am looking so forward to the 2 months which awaits.

Oslo greeted me with perfect weather, it reminds me of other Scandi cities, clean, pretty and smart. I wander around for the day, and the highlight is going to Bygdoy, and seeing the Viking Ships and Open air Folkmuseum. They have recreated an old Norse village with traditional houses and original Stave church. This is all accessed by ferry from town. Excellent.

The next morning I am up hearly for "Norway in a Nutshell" tour. Its is wonderful. The Best thing I have done travel wise I think. The start is a 5hr scenic journey from Oslo, taking your from city, through the farm land, and up up into the snow fields. This is then followed by the 1hr Flam Railway, and old train which winds its way back to Fjord level. From here a Ferry takes you through some fjords til you reach a port for a bus which takes you to Voss on the steepest road in Norway. From here its a 1 hr train to bergen.

Highlight of the day was the 2hr fjord Ferry ride in perfect conditions. Also I met some locals on the train to Bergen and had a great conversation with these Uni students. I forgot to ask for email addresses! Can you believe it! Ah well...

Today its exploring Bergen! I am living in the Brygg area, which is cute and touristy.

7 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Glad you are enjoying it, I can't wait to see photos!

My great-grandad's house (his nephew lives there now) is just up the hill from the Brygg area, not far from the bottom of the inclinator.

8:09 am  
Blogger j a s o n said...

I guess I must have passed it, i was wandering all around the inclinator!!!

Its still lovely here, I've met some fantastic people, hope to keep in touch.

I DID ask for emails this time!!

9:28 pm  
Blogger Jean said...

Live the dream Jase! Sounds like you had a brillant start to your 3 month adventure.

See - never discount public transport for meeting fantastic ppl.

5:39 pm  
Blogger Joe said...

Oh! Jean, now I know why you're so keen to take the train to Brighton!

11:27 pm  
Blogger Joe said...

Your photos are incredible! Is that waterfall the one where the lady comes out and starts singing a spooky sounding music?

8:01 am  
Blogger j a s o n said...

Cheers mate!

Yes, the waterfall with the hippy woman dancing to the magical music!!

10:12 am  
Blogger Joe said...

That was the funniest thing I saw in Norway. It was made even better by the Japanese tourists who started shrieking and snapping photos like their lives depended on it.

8:37 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter