Thursday, June 07, 2007

Norway pt 2








2nd Day of Bergen is another Fjord journey, this time to the Sonjefjord, which is the longest fjord, and World Heritage Listed. It will be a full days journey finishing at 8pm back in Bergen.

Its an express cat boat ride out for about 5, yes 5 Hrs to get to the first change. I take the time to nap and just relax, enjoying the scenery. It actually reminds me much of northern Scotland, but calmer waters, clear blue skies and low land. The land is wilder here, with more rock than green...as we turn into the main fjord, the snowcapped mountains appear it is truly breathtaking.

A whole day of this! And it only gets better as we venture further in.

Highlights of the day include changing ferries mid fjord, reunited with others I met along the way and meeting new travellers. Newly married Dan & Gabrielle from Canada/NZ plant the seed of Syria as a travel destination...

Also Jim & Anne, Americans from Seattle here to touch their Norwegian roots kindly take me to dinner for my last night in Bergen. Sometimes you get lucky travelling and meet great people, hope it happens more this year!!

All in all Norway has been a great place for me to visit and definately somewhere I will want to return to..Next time more outdoorsy stuff like hiking, canoeing and fishing. Can't wait!

6 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Did you find it hard to take photos in the fjords? I got so frustrated that I couldn't fit much in!

There is quite a bit more snow than when I went last year in July.

8:04 am  
Blogger j a s o n said...

Yes, I needed an Ultra wide lens, (which I just sold) but I never seemed to need that width of lens when I am normally taking photos...

Again, lovely place to visit, we should go back and do some wandering in the hills!!!

10:11 am  
Blogger Jean said...

Your photos are so amazing. Now, I want to go to Norway too. Joe - fancy organising another group trip (just kidding).

12:58 pm  
Blogger bitchrepublic said...

how did you take the pictures of the fishes?

7:12 am  
Blogger j a s o n said...

In the aquarium JoJo! I know you want me to say I went Scuba diving...

dSLRs are cool, get one! used panning technique, f4 at high ISO1000 or so I think.

9:03 am  
Blogger j a s o n said...

Hey Jean/Joe, I met this couple who were traveling around working on Farms etc very cool idea.

They were off to work on a Shetland Pony farm outside of Oslo after they went to Bergen!!

They gave me the website, www.helpx.net, I have not checked it out yet. But it sounds very enticing.

9:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter