Sunday, July 01, 2007

Marburg, Germany Day 25-27

Visiting Kirst for a couple of days. She is studying at Uni in Marburg, Germany.

Decided on using the Train in Germany to go from Bonn to Marburg. The ticket was easy enough to purchase at the machine, but it did not print out the platform changes, of which there were many, so I lined up for service. 30min later, I had the printouts in my hand, full of confidence in Die Bahn.

Though upon arrive at the train station I noticed the 1513hrs train was not on the timetable board. Slightly tense, I asked the lady at the info desk for help. "oh you need the U-bahn for a tram..."
I set off running as the train was leaving in 5mins. On arrival to the Underground station I went to the wrong platform, and was helpfully shown the way to the correct platform. I went to miss a further 3 connections by mere seconds on each occasion....Julian had warned me about that!

After a long journey, I finally arrived to meet Kirst exactly as planned at 8pm! I planned for multiple errors in my journey...smart eh!

Marburg is a cute town, once you leave the modern part. Perched high up on a hill, the views of the surrounding area are great from the Old Town. The cobble paedestrian streets and half timbered houses, one in which Kirst lives, are quaint and peacefully calm.

Its great to catch up and chat chat chat. The trials and tribulations of University life seem so distant to me and its good to be brought back to that world. Kirst invites me to her English Linguistics class which is teaching Northern American accents, and I attend with gusto. Its enjoyable and very interesting attending a language class, delivered in English and lucky for me I even get to participate. I provide the Australian accents for some words, how fun!

All too soon I am back on Die Bahn and back to Bonn, this time I make all the connections perfectly, but make the mistake of walking into a smoking car. I nap and awake to a carriage of smokers merrily puffing away. I stink of smoke when I get off the train and am grumpy for the rest of the day! I hate ciggie smoke!

Thanks Kirst, had a very enjoyable visit!







2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the architecture!

5:53 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bah. What an ugly place. Remind me never to go there...

:-D

12:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter