Saturday, September 23, 2006

more London Black cabbies

I have been using London Black C abs recently, and its been really interesting!

Just tonight I got talking to one about Clarinets and Saxophones, he even played me one of his favourite tunes, one with Louis Armstrong. Amazing. Music can be a great leveller.

One white cabbie started talking to me in Mandarin, then Cantonese, after I told him I was Chinese...Again embarassment complete when I told him I couldnt speak - he even called me the nickname for us!!! He had lived in Hong Kong for some years...

The other night it was a cabbie who was half chinese half jamaican. I couldnt quite make it out when I saw him at first, he looked chinese, but also jamaican...it was dark, I had'nt had anything to drink....Quite eye opening, we talked about his acceptance in the communities in Jamaica, and his life for the last 30 yrs in England, how it was and how its changed, and what his hopes for his grandchildren now are. Needless to say their was a hell of a lot of swearing!

Another cabbie was telling me about his dream of moving to Perth, Western Australia. He was attending painting and decorating college on Fridays. Dreaming of learning to surf, the sun, sand and relaxed lifestyle....made me wonder what the hell I was still doing here 3 yrs on....

2 Comments:

Blogger bitchrepublic said...

well, gong li in miami vice was cuban chinese, what's next?

1:41 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

heya Jase,
Thought your chinese name was a secret. Lonely hey...when are you coming down to oz ?

5:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter