Saturday, September 16, 2006

Backing up after a night on the Turps.

Call me un-Australian but, most of you know I don't drink Alcohol.

This is purely a lifestyle decision, like the decisions on not smoking, not injecting myself with hard drugs, not listening to opera and not shouting at people on the tube...Its just one of those things. I should not HAVE to justify it. Though in most parts of the world I have lived in it has always felt a need to and have been asked why I don't....I just don't like it. Why is that never good enough for people? Do people feel so threatened by those not like them? Or am I just being silly and too defensive when it is purely interest which drives the question? Saying "I'm an alcoholic" seems to work at times.

Last night was a team night out on the booze for one of the boys leaving work. Being a Thursday night, it was pretty big one by all accounts - I ducked off early.

The next morning, I was first into the office at 8.45am. Normally I am 3rd or 4th at that time. No one in sight, by 9am there was still no one in. By 9.30am a few had made it in, but the rest were missing in action, and of those that did make it in - the day was wasted and murky, with visits to get greasy breakfasts, toilet breaks for throwing up and dozing at the desk. I've seen it all before...

Now I don't want to hold the holier than thou superiority stance here - BUT...

The thing that really got to me was the ethic which had been instilled to me a while ago. Professionally, there is nothing wrong with getting boozed to the eyeballs the night before, but if you can't be on time for work and functioning normally the next day - dont booze so much.

Taking up the slack for people writing themselves off with drink is in my books out of order.

For management to laugh with and condone such behaviour is just unprofessional.
Its just sad. Lucky I get paid by the hour.

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

Two sayings:

Don't trust a man who doesn't drink
In vino veritas

4:47 am  
Blogger j a s o n said...

Yes have heard these before.

Its funny how these days we uphold the idea of individualism upper most, being different is applauded.
Post modernism is still king.

No one wants to be boxed into a stereotype. We are taught to shun uniformity and the generic as unimaginative, archaic and passe.

But in this instance still value conformity. Adherence to the tribal rules IS important afterall.

1:28 am  
Blogger bitchrepublic said...

So its this stephen lurking. get your facts right!

1:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter