Sunday, August 20, 2006

The Secret Life of Us

Am I just niave? Do I live in some innocent old world where I believe what you see is what you get? The childish thought that my friends lives were as transparent as mine to them? Why is personal secrecy so guarded by some? What happened to people being open and honest with each other? Where does the need to have secret lives come from?

I guess the important thing is to respect their privacy in these matters. Not to be involved and step back. But what are the borders? Its hard for me to know - maybe the safe thing is to say nothing and be silent and thus becoming part of the "mysteriousness" world. Upholding the walls, upholding the secret lives, so not to be affected by the flak which comes from opening up secrets, even if I didnt know they were secrets.

I have learnt recently this importance of this gameplay and the requirement of silence by many that I know. What are people afraid of and why do they do it? Why do people feel the need to be mysterious or superior to others by building walls between themselves and others? To pretend to be something they arent. Isnt it all just false?

I find it amazing to learn of their other lives and the effort the borders between their facades is kept rigidly separate. To find another layer of person beyond that I knew is both interesting and disturbing. To think someone I regarded as a friend would need to hide a part of them from me - what is a friend then?

Its hard not to be cynical.

It seems to compound that feeling of mistrust which seeps into our lives. That abyss of selfishness which is so easy to fall into...to look after only oneself and project yourself to others as you would like selected ones to see you.

I dont know - is it just life these days? So many game players...

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

G'day Jase, thanks for stopping by.

Obviously something has prompted this post. The only things I would ask are whether the revelation matters (does it affect or disturb your relationship with them) and would that knowledge go further to a wider group.

Look forward to reading more.

10:03 am  
Blogger j a s o n said...

Hey Steve,

Thanks for dropping by! Look forward to seeing Seets and Mus here soon - When are you visiting??

Just had a bit of time to write some more topical stuff, nothing too serious - leaving the travel blog dedicated to the other website.

Got some topics floating in my mind like Chinky Diaspora, Guilt, Charity...stuff like that...

Must find a funky photo to fill a header too! Love your one!

12:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter