Friday, July 13, 2007

Back in Ol'Blighty. July 12

A full day of travelling sees me jet from Dubrovnik at 8am to Bonn, a day sight seeing and then out to London.

Highlight of the day was having a chat with a retired German woman. I was sitting alone at a cafe reading a book and enjoying a cool drink, when this old lady sits herself down after asking my permission in German...

She sits, has a smoke and enjoys her coffee, then strikes up a conversation in English with me; " Are you studying or working in Bonn?" So starts a lovely 30min conversation about her life and mine, swapping bits of information...how fun! After so many years of not speaking English she is still proficient and wanted a chance to practise, amazing people!

Arrival to London is delayed by a late Easyjet flight, no wonder there. On arrival to Victoria i am overwhelmed by the pace of life in London on a thursday night. Seas of people moving at pace, a grim reality of returning to the big city. The tube was humid sweaty and over crowded as usual. Me with my 20Kg backpack and laptop bag pushing my way in and brushing all my sweat unintentionally on others as they bump into me...nice.

I am really glad I decided to leave this town, its just not me, the hustle and bustle the cool factor, so fake yet pretty universal. Get me out of here!

Saving grace is returning to the sanity and confort of Keith's place and the promise of a day off tomorrow. Highlight is Japanese dinner near Goodge Street, one of my favourite places with lots of the London crowd, AWESOME!

Thanks Jean for organising.

Tomorrow - New York via Heathrow...

2 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Check your stats, you have a hit from India!

Hope you guys had a great meal!

Are you serious about the cool factor? London is so liberating for me after Sydney! I think there is much more pressure to conform to particular norms there.

5:00 pm  
Blogger j a s o n said...

Maybe cool isnt the right term for what i mean...I havent figured it out exactly yet but there is something so different in London.

Maybe something to do with the bubble effect, where everyone on the tube is in their own bubble...ipods on, playing with their phones and doing their own busy thing.

Maybe people call it a vibe? An attitude the people give off, its not agressive, but its something...hmmm

BTW loving NYC, my travl companion is taking me shopping everywhere! And there is so much walking, you will be very impressed!

6:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter