Thursday, April 26, 2007

Fire on the Tube


Early finish to my working day and I was down to get the tube home and meet friends for dinner...After 10mins on the tube, standing near the door reading my magazine and listening to music, I smelt smoke.

Not ciggie smoke, but proper something serious on fire type of smoke. As I looked up and took out my ear buds, out, more people started looking around with abit of alarm in their eyes.

Most though stood blankly, ignoring the reality that something was on fire in the tunnel, and that something did smell like the train. The train stopped in the tunnel and the driver was talking over the speakers to a woman who had pulled the alarm, calming her down. I was getting worried.

On arrival at Canada Water I was one of the first out of the train, me about about 20% of the other passenger, smoke continuing to waft around. I had been in London during the bombings and I was pretty keen not to be attacked by some terrorist plot to blow something up.

Everyone else meanwhile stayed on the train - MADNESS.

Soon enough the platform guards told us to evacuate the platform, the loud station alarms and notices started being announced. The rush to the buses was on and I was savvy enough this time to get myself on a Liverpool St bound bus.

Crazy place. Can't wait to get away from this pathetic state of affairs in the UK.

9 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

My bus was diverted yesterday because Oxford Street was on fire... London is falling apart!

8:02 am  
Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

Scary sh-t man!

10:53 am  
Blogger j a s o n said...

Gloucester Place was blocked off with Police tape last night and there was one Police car with blue lights flashing...

I wonder if they got the bad guys and why they needed to shut the street down?

2:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool photo though!

12:51 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the Tube shot + monkey!

Hides

2:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this shot – how did you take it?

11:44 pm  
Blogger j a s o n said...

This is really funny - everyone of my arty or photography friends loves this photo!!!!

OK - DSD this is gonna upset you...u need to have an SLR and a telephoto/zoom lens to achieve this shot.

Its a camera trick... as you press the shutter release, and as the shutter is opening, you move the zoom in or out on the lens.

I can show you next time i see you - you can probably make the effect on Photoshop...

12:01 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, show me next time we meet, which probably only leaves Friday! I remember seeing this photo many years ago of Lance Armstrong cycling past a field of sunflowers where he was very much in focus in centre of the shot but the sunflowers were a like a blurry sea...a bit like what you have here. Would that have been the same technique used?

9:42 am  
Blogger j a s o n said...

That technique is called "panning".

Can you you this too!

12:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter