Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Rouen, France

Rouen

French In Normandy - School



The Paddock, at the Conde Farmhouse


The House




Jolly


Pilot


Gus

Rouen


5hrs sleep, and I am up at 6am packed and stumbling towards Heathrow. Terminal 5 is home of British Airways. My boarding pass comes out on thermal paper, the same kind you get receipts from Tescos on, not such a bad idea, I suppose.

Bag weighs in at 24Kg and the woman does not bat an eyelid, which is great for me! I take the time to take in the architecture of the new Terminal, but really...its not that impressive at all. Inside the feeling of space is not as grande or impressionable as HK or Beijing 3, which are just massive to behold. No, Terminal 3 has the modern big glass and huge bolts and shackles of painted exposed metal inside, but it does not feel like a statement, which is what I expected. More just a functional new building. It also feels chaotic in some ways, not so calm for the tourist to wander through, or relax whilst waiting for flights, or a place to have some quiet whilst wishing away your hours til your delayed flight or transfer flight.

Boarding is ontime, but they do not let anyone onto the plane. Instead we are all backed up and cramped on the escalators and bridge walkways. The take off is delayed a futher hour and basically people are not impressed.

.............

Touch down in Paris. Immigration is very informal, the yawning French officer waving his hand under his chin a far cry from his British and Australian counterparts. Charles De Gaulle's old terminals are quite tired aged hippy looking now.

I am stopped by customs who ask me some questions, go through my things and wave me along.

The Roissybus service takes you straight to Paris past some very pretty areas of 17th and 8th districts before landing you right in the heart of the Opera district. Its a short walk from there to Gare St Lazare for the 1hr train to Rouen.

But, today its strikes, so I have to wait some 3hrs before I can leave Paris. I take the time to read a book on D Day and relax, its summer after all.

A few train changes and running along platforms with 35kg on my back later, I am sharing standing space only in a non airconditioned space with a local family and their screaming baby. Bliss.

The final arrival at Rouen is much welcomed - its great to finally hit my destination,put the feets up and even have a rare beer!!


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome home, old boy...

: )

I really hope you have fun in this leg of the adventures of Jase.

5:38 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey mate, only had time to catch up now. Nice descriptions of HK and London, especially of Marylebone. Felt the same way each I went back to London (albeit infrequently).

Catch you in Oct.

Keith/Joe, do you have any more photos of your new place?

10:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the pictures of the animals and HK.

Emily in South ken.

3:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mate, tell me you are going to Sainte-Mère-Église!

Also- I'll send you the Supergrass album Road To Rouen.
It was recorded there, but has little else to do with the place.
Email me your postal address?

12:58 am  
Blogger Joe said...

An anonymous person on Jason's blog is asking for pictures of my flat. Stranger danger!

I think Keith has posted a whole album on facebook.

1:24 pm  
Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

Looks like you have friends in all places K/J but perhaps it's just Jason?

Looks like you're having a wonderful time bro, live it up!

4:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter