Friday, June 06, 2008

Goodbye HK

My last few days in Hong Kong were a blur of packings and goodbyes. The Summer is really there now, with high 20s and unbearable humidity. The rains have come too and the entire week was wet and gloomy. Just to step outside causes the sweat to sticky your clothing and sap energy. The air is thick and heavy, the skies grey.

I shipped a good 7 full boxes home to Sydney with all my junk from 5 yrs on the road, and yet still have some furniture and a TV to go....Moving is always a massive pain. It's sad to leave my lovely huge new flat in Tsuen Wan. I will remember it fondly, the majestic 49th floor views were always something I marvelled at day and night. Something to be marvelled at and drunk in, just to remind you of the contrasts of ramshackle old Hong Kong to the clean towering giants of new Hong Kong and everything inbetween.

Leaving again is surprisingly teary eyed, I had not expected it to be so. I have made many good new friends and strengthened older friendships. I have become closer to my family and all in all I have really enjoyed my short time in HK. It's hard to say goodbye, but it feels very right to leave at this moment.

I will miss the convenience of everything in Hong Kong, the cheap prices, the brisk service, the busy-ness hustle and bustle, MTR journeys on airconditioned hospital clean carriages, the modern chinese streetscape mixed with the old Hong Kong, the screaming chinese languages, the sight of domestic helpers picnicing on Sundays, roast pork and duck, my favourite bookstores, the jungle trails, steep hills, mad van drivers, the beep of the Octopus Card, and that constant stream of visitors passing through.

Sydney does beckon me home - its been a good 5 yrs since I have lived there and I feel its finally time to go home. Living abroad, in some of the worlds biggest cities, whilst fun, exciting and character building has left me quite tired and yearning for the quieter home life.

But, before I return I have a wee trip planned back in Europe.

3 months in France, then home. Thats the plan!

2 Comments:

Blogger Jean said...

You say three months in France and the home... we'll see ;)

2:04 pm  
Blogger j a s o n said...

yeah...5yrs and still trotting around

2:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter