Saturday, June 07, 2008

London

Back on the Tube


The view from Sunny & Cora's flat in Marylebone


Baker Street area shop


Daunt's, my fav book store, amazing travel section


The new smoking laws have brought these clever bins to each wall



My first meal back in Blighty!


Marylebone High Street


Street based electricity point for electricity cars, in Mayfair


Brunch in Mayfair


Joe's garden


Hackney corner shop





Joe @ home


Letter boxes



Hackney street


Dalston Lane market




Columbia Road Flower market





South Kensington


Natural History Museum, South Kensington





Sally @ cofee


The gang on Monday night dinners


I start my first day back in London in my old local neighbourhood of Marylebone. Its so homely for me, yet some form of bizarre cultural shock of being back in the UK. Things are so familiar yet somehow it all feels so odd being suddenly back, odd in a good way.


Marylebone High Street has not changed in the year since I have been there. I enjoy browsing my favourite shops, Daunt's Bookstore and Skandium Furniture. I pass the many cafes and restaurants. Good memories on every corner to keep me cheerful!

Its 11am, and I opt for a massive full cooked English breakfast at Ponti's Cafe, washed down with a big mug of Coffee. I enjoy watching the Londoners walk in and out, the sounds of their melodic voices a sharp contrast to the Cantonese I had been used to.

The night is spent with a tapas dinner closeby in St Christophers Place, then a stroll around Mayfair. Much of which I never knew existed! Such a very classy area, and there is something special about wandering around on a perfect summers day in the twilight at 9pm.

The Next day its brunch, again in Mayfair, then off to East London to hang out with other mates, in their new flat in Hackney. Its a new area of London for me to discover, quite different to West London, literally the other side of the tracks.

The canals remind me of Holland, in some places edgy, in some very pleasant, new buildings mix with old, its a nice 30mins from Angel to Hackney. The markets are a pleasant surprise, lots of lovely fresh organic produce, and great tasting too! Its true, sometimes there is a real taste difference!!

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A massive English cooked breakfast?
Sounds dangerous! Hope you're having fun mate!

1:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like the photo on Broadway Market.

Were you using a special lens for some of the photos?

9:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I set the letterbox photo as my screen background for the week. I'll see how long I can handle the colour.

5:33 am  
Blogger j a s o n said...

was yummy yummy mate!!

10mm ultrawide lens used for most London Photos, much fun!

the letter box is keith and joe's letterbox, so bright!!

12:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter