Friday, January 25, 2008

Tokyo


















































Just arrived in Tokyo. I'm in Japan for a 5 day visit to Japan. The plan is see a wee bit of Tokyo, then Kyoto.

Its real winter here and the air is clean and crisp. The sound of slurping of soba from the flight lunch still ringing in my ears. The temperature around 5C but it reminds me straight away of winter in London. Narita airport caters so well for the traveller. The service is amazing. The bus ride into town is mainly on the expressway, but here you still see some farming fields, the neatness of the roads and buildings and of the interiors of Tokyo cars and trucks. Not to mention the 50 toll booths one has to pass by!

Smoking seems big here, with nearly every car I passed the driver was either puffing away or looking for his smokes. The cars all seemed neat and tidy, alot of pride in ownership it seems, and every cabin full of character.

I pass suburban JR trains with commuters on their way into town, and as the sun glows red dropping out of the clear blue sky the twilight is mesmirising in its calmness. The foreground juxtaposingly industrial with train cables and plain white low level buildings, in the far distance I see a mountain...Mt Fuji I guess?

I pass modern Tokyo, the station and new city corporate blocks, bright lights highlighting them against the now black sky. I pass the Imperial Palace and gaze into the darkness, look forward to seeing it in daylight. What surprises me so far is the amount of waterways and canals in the city.

The hotel is fancy and grand, the porters sprint towards me to help with my stinky backpack. I am definately not used to this! The room is plush and modern, with a gigantic TV. Sumo wrestling and Japanese game shows make up the couple of hours I take to relax and have a cup of Japanese tea. The electronic toilet is new to me - though I dare touch it get lest I do some irreversible damage to self!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter