Friday, February 23, 2007

Restless again...

Rory said to me, the moment I make that decision to leave a place, it can't happen fast enough. True enough!

That's me and London! Get me outta here...NOW!

Suddenly the things that annoy me about the place come to the fore again...

Example.

Finished work at 7.30pm (early) tonight, (that in itself sucks for normal folk on a Friday night, but luckily no plans to be late for this friday).

Got to the Canary Wharf Tube Station only to find that yet another "signalling problem" at Waterloo has stopped all Jubilee Line westbound services. Luckily for me I have the option to go to the DLR, Docklands Light Rail...like nearly everyone else...

Next I'm standing on the crowded platform waiting for train after train after packed train. I finally board one, I find myself pushing a middle aged guy in the back....(feel a bad person for that one) and am squashed up with my face touching two male armpits, their arms outstretched holding onto high poles. My body pressed on three sides by humanity...ah it doesnt get better than this does it? I close my eyes to escape the reality of it.

It doesnt work, two stops later the driver announces "I'm afraid the train is no longer working, please leave the train"... There is an audible groan from all, I mutter a "f#cking useless London sh#t".

20 mins later and 4 packed trains later I am on my way again...

Home at 9pm, just another night on the London Underground, yee haa.

One side note though, a woman was on the last leg of my journey, scrambled onto the train after she asked me if the train went to Kings Cross, which it did. Sat down, and after a moment began crying.

Then it happened...the man next to her reached into his jacket and gave her a hankerchief, with some kind words...she smiled gracefully at the human kindness.

Sometimes this place can surprise me by its random acts of kindness, would this have happened anywhere else? I hope so.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Hmm... I hope it was a clean one. Should you encounter a young lady in similar distress when you get to HK, make sure to pull out a pack of disposable tissues instead.

'meh si?' and 'm'sai cry lah' might help too. hehe...

Be careful though, becuase she may be putting on a display for the benefit of her boyfriend, sitting in the next carriage.

I think your experience of impatience is really common - I've been the same in the final few months each time I've left a country.

8:42 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter