Thursday, February 08, 2007

Finally some snow


Reported as the largest snowfall in England for a decade, today came as a bit of a wet firecracker to me.

The news bulletins and websites all forecast huge snowfalls of 15cm overnight, followed by a day of constant snow. After 3 yrs here they seem to be spot on with the forecasts most of the time.

The amount of grit salt laid out the night before was unprecedented in my experience of London thus far.

And sure enough as promised, the snow came. Now that I live in town though, any snow does not stay for long and is soon slushy.

I awoke to radio reports of severe transport problems on 6 out of 12 lines, and long traffic jams. This country certainly has a joke of a transport network - the slightest hiccup and the thing falls over and dies.

Luckily for me - my trip was relatively unhindered. Most people had heeded the warnings and stayed at home - lucky them!

I was camera ready hoping for glorious shots of the city covered in snow, but alas, it was all melting before my eyes and what was falling was just freezing cold rain instead.

Oh can anyone tell me why - after so many warnings and reports, city women seemed hell bent on walking on pavements in high heels. This results in slipping and sliding all over the place? Is it me or are some people just that vain and stupid?

Here is what it was like at 7.30am...no photo of slipping women though, sorry.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

I love how often we get 'extreme weather' which is seen as a valid excuse for public transport chaos: snow, heavy rain, wind (leaves etc. on tracks), heat (tracks too hot) and so on...

It's not extreme people, it's just weather!

9:28 am  
Blogger j a s o n said...

Everyone excuses the system too, "oh its not like we get the same snow as Moscow or New York, our system was not designed for it". No, the system was made for blue clear skys, 20C all day, 1/10 of the population and a world where people crave a leisurely pace of lifestyle to take in the wonderful urban scenery and smell the roses, underground.

So glad I am leaving soon - I am starting to get used to this mediocrity it too much...

I am still trying to implement afternoon naps at work...what you all think?

9:54 am  
Blogger Iqbal Khaldun said...

Brilliant idea (re afternoon siestas).

Yeah mate looks like your Tesco's 'best before date' has started to approach. You'll be missed though. Can't think of anyone who sends me more (one line) e-mails in a single day hehe

10:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

page hit counter